Photograph — Jiraygroup

The Tanzanian government intends to raise coffee production from 66,646 tonnes to 100,000 tonnes in the next four years by assigning more lands solely for the germination of coffee beans.

About 10,000 hectares of land have been set aside for both small and large scale farmers to embark on the mission of raising coffee production in the East African country. Also, in order to attract new growers of coffee beans, the government has scrapped 17 levies and taxes imposed on coffee to encourage production.

Some of these coffee bean varieties grown in Tanzania are however vulnerable to diseases and pest infestation. Omary Mgimba, Deputy Minister of Agriculture, said that the government will start a campaign to uproot old coffee trees and replace them with new varieties. 

The government will also provide farmers with 10 million seedlings of this new high yield varieties to boost the production of coffee in Tanzania.

In a Global Agricultural Information Network report, about 90 percent of total coffee production comes from approximately 450,000 family operations, (with estates producing the remaining 10percent). Inevitably, this production accounts for about half of the employed workforce of Tanzania’s 58 million population. 

The East African country earned $123 million from coffee exports in this year alone, and until the year 2000, coffee contributes at least five per cent of Tanzania’s export earnings. 

Although mostly known for its tourist sites which have accounted for 61.8 percent of service receipts resulting into $2593.3 million in foreign exchange. The Tanzanian government aims at realising the potentials of coffee beans by increasing its production and generating more revenue for the country.

Under the patronage of Tanzania Coffee Board and private stakeholders, the government’s new coffee strategy will also lobby local and foreign investors to set up coffee processing factories in the country.

By Treasure Nnabugwu.

Comments

Elsewhere on Ventures

Triangle arrow