On Monday, 15th May, the World Health Organisation confirmed the second Ebola case in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
A WHO spokesperson in Geneva confirmed via an e-mail that “So far, there are 19 suspected cases, including three deaths and two lab-confirmed cases.”
The first case was confirmed on Friday in Bas-Uele province in the north-east.
The WHO has said the outbreak appears to be limited to that remote area, and that there is no need for travel restrictions for the time being.
The Africa Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, a continent-wide mechanism to monitor disease outbreaks, said it had activated its emergency operational centre to monitor the situation in Congo.
Read more on Punch