On Thursday night, the Nigerian Presidency announced that it was not aware of any sudden change of mind by President Muhammadu Buhari concerning his return to London for another round of medical check-up.
This reaction was prompted by some reports that President Buhari said he would not go back for further treatment but would rather import doctors to treat him in Abuja upon his return from London on a medical vacation barely three weeks ago.
Speaking through the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, the Presidency said the news of the President not going back was false.
Recently, the presidency has been under pressure to disclose how much was incurred on his 49-day “medical vacation” in London, with Nigerians saying they have a right to know. On Wednesday, the federal government said that it would not disclose the medical bills of the president.
On June 6, 2016, he embarked on a 10-day vacation to treat an ear infection. Adesina had explained then that Buhari was battling with what he called “persistent ear infection.” The presidential spokesman also said, although Buhari had been examined and treated by his personal physician and a specialist in Abuja, both doctors advised him to go for further evaluation as a precaution.
Activists and civil society groups such as the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, the Centre for Anti-Corruption and Open Leadership, and the Campaign for Democracy, among others, are of the opinion that the medical bill is of public interest.
Although he did not specify the date of Buhari’s proposed return to the United Kingdom. “It is false news. We are not aware of the reported advance movements. The last time the President spoke about this, he said he would return to his doctors after some time. We are not aware that this has changed,” said Shehu.