International magazine Global Finance recently released this year’s edition of the annual ranking of top-performing banks and other providers of financial services across the world, which has become a trusted standard of excellence for the global financial community.
With input from industry analysts, corporate executives, and technology experts, this year’s winners were selected based on the performances of the banks over the period from January 1 to December 31, 2019.
Several criteria considered include knowledge of local conditions and customer needs, financial strength and safety, strategic relationships and governance, competitive pricing, capital investment, and innovation in products and services.
Published mid-May, the World’s Best Banks Awards 2020 honors winners in more than 150 countries and seven global regions – Africa, Asia-Pacific, Central & Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, North America, and Western Europe.
In Africa, 34 banks made the ranking. Here is a breakdown of the winners by sub-region and country on the continent.
- Cameroon – Societe Generale Cameroun
- The Democratic Republic of Congo – Trust Merchant Bank
- Equatorial Guinea – National Bank of Equatorial Guinea
- Djibouti – CAC International Bank
- Ethiopia – Commercial Bank of Ethiopia
- Kenya – KCB Bank Kenya
- Madagascar – BNI Madagascar
- Mauritius – SBM Bank
- Rwanda – I&M Bank Rwanda
- Uganda – Stanbic Bank Uganda
- Tanzania – CRDB Bank
- Benin – Banque Atlantique
- Burkina Faso – United Bank for Africa
- Cote d’Ivoire – Banque Atlantique
- The Gambia – Ecobank Gambia
- Ghana – Fidelity Bank Ghana
- Guinea – Societe Generale de Banques en Guinée
- Mali – Ecobank Mali
- Nigeria – Zenith Bank
- Senegal – Societe Generale Senegal
- Sierra Leone – Union Trust Bank
- Togo – Ecobank Togo
- Algeria – Societe Generale Algerie
- Morocco – Attijariwafa Bank
- Tunisia – Amen Bank
- Sudan – Omdurman National Bank
- Angola – Banco de Fomento Angola
- Botswana – Absa Bank Botswana
- Malawi – National Bank of Malawi
- Mozambique – Millennium bim
- Namibia – First National Bank of Namibia
- South Africa – Standard Bank
- Zambia – Zambia National Commercial Bank
- Zimbabwe – CBZ Bank